Monday, November 12, 2007

Pontoon, Garrison Keiller

I just finished reading Pontoon, by Garrison Keiller. This is an odd, funny book that includes a cancelled wedding and a funeral with a parasailer who drops the green bowling ball with the ashes of the dead into the lake, but after an accident with the boatful of Danish ministers, the parasailer ends up in the raspberry bushes, minus all his clothes. The boat sinks, but it's only four feet of water, and Raoul ends up with the bowling ball, as well he should.
So what do you think? Do I have a future in the book review field? Does it make you want to run out and purchase your copy of Pontoon?
My mother thinks I made this all up, but I swear! And I didn't even tell her about the green sequened dress, or the flying Elvis.
The book is terrific!

2 Comments:

At November 12, 2007 at 3:32 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, it worked, and yes please do post your book review comments! I heard that GK piece as a News from Lake Wobegon segment on his show -- very funny.

Wow, next time I can include a link to the review I just wrote of When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need to Survive When Disaster Strikes, by Cody Lundin, who also wrote 98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive! (The exclamation point is part of the title, no a comment by me.) Funny and gross and readable and absorbing. I sure never knew all that stuff about cockroaches, or how to dispose of a corpse should the need arise.

I also seem to be reading The End, the 13th Series of Unfortunate Events opus by Lemony Snicket, having read none of the preceding ones, but it doesn't matter because he keeps bringing in glancing references. And speaking of references, I got the ones about Mrs. Caliban and Esme Squalor, but I'm sure I'm missing a lot. My friend Caere says there's a bunch of V. Woolf ones in there, but they whizzed over my head.

Meanwhile, I'm also reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, which is extremely readable and I hope everyone will indulge.

Back to writing marketing crap. If you sign up TODAY for our weekend seminar, we'll drop $1,000 off the price. For the remaining $995, how can you afford NOT to join our Publ -- oops, I spose I shouldn't say the name.

 
At November 12, 2007 at 3:36 PM , Blogger Mrs. Mikey said...

I am reading Fashion Babylon and will let you know what I think of it when I see you next weekend. Mike's car got broken into again this weekend so we may be moving.
Talk to you soon!
xo

Emily

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home