Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Lost Art of Gratitude, Alexander Mc Call Smith

I really enjoyed this authors Precious Ramotswe series, about the lady detective, for the gentleness of spirit and the emphasis on doing good. I found the same qualities in Isabel Dalhousie, the title character of The Lost Art of Gratitude, although this series is set in Scotland, not Africa. Same strong female character solving problems for others. This one I listened to in the car, and what I assume is the reader's Scottish accent did add to the general tone. The Washington Post review said that McCall has "created a world where the humor is gentle, suffering is acknowledged but not foregrounded, and the efforts to do good are usually rewarded. It is a wonderful place to visit, even if we don't get to live there." McCalls books create places I really would like to live.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home