Monday, November 26, 2007

No Country For Old Men Cormac McCarthy

I didn't really read the book. I went to the Coen Brothers movie with my mother, husband, and daughter and son in law, who went to the USC film school, and now works for Disney; he suggested the movie. It is almost as relentlessly grim as The Road, but in this case it is beautifully acted, and the cinematography is wonderful also. The reviewer in the Pasadena Star News said he was going to rush out and buy the book, because he didn't understand the "epilog" at the end. Tommy Lee Jones is talking about hanging up his badge, and feeling that his father will be waiting for him; maybe a positive note.
I am not going to read the book, but I think there were a number of questions. I am glad there were five of us, so we could debrief afterwords. The movie is violent. Very, very violent. When I went to church on Sunday, the sermon was on forgiveness, and the priest discussed the death penalty. If ever there was someone who should be considered for the death penalty, the deranged, psychopathic killer in this movie would qualify. On the other hand, this is not a movie one will easily forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home